Feeding Ad libitum
feeding the calves Ad libitum (lat. – plenty) acidified milk is a proven method that contributes to metabolic programming, since the animals always have plenty of milk and drink it as you wish. Consumption of more than 15 liters per day can be observed already at the age of 2-3 weeks.
Therefore, feeding is the key to better growth and higher daily gains, in some cases, more than 1,000 g per day. If done correctly, the calves are strong and healthy. In order for the process of feeding Ad libitum was successful, you need the following:
- • Feed only the milk that is easily digested: whole milk or sugar substitute with a dry milk of not less than 50%.
- • For acidification should be applied tools, working at different temperatures. Formic acid that was everywhere earlier in the application, is not the best solution.
- • Even pakikaki milk, its quality may deteriorate with rise in temperature more than 25° C. it Is recommended to pasteurize the milk, it gives the opportunity to avoid the growth of bacteria within the next 10-12 hours at 30° C.
- • Podnikanie milk fed at temperatures above 20° C excessive heating can lead to the thickening.
- • buckets of milk must have a cover (lid) to prevent the ingress of dirt and flies.
- • Ad libitum Feeding should begin immediately after birth. Calves, violales restrictive should gradually switch to ad libitum feeding.
- • Phase ad libitum should last about 4 weeks. It is important, bestrasova to separate the animal from the milk. Here in pretty handy automatic fish feeder from the company Holm&Laue – CalfExpert, which gradually translates the calf with the milk diet. Using CalfExpert, simple and easy to use calves with metabolic feeding schedule.
- • Vykorystovuyutsia godwinize, milk is offered ad libitum, animals drink it as you wish. Usually the calves themselves restrict consumption in one visit. The company Holm&Laue recommends from 3 to 5 liters.
- • Gradual weaning. automatic feeders CalfExpert contributes to the development of hypothermia. Period of reducing the amount of milk lasts 4 to 6 weeks. Pre is also to reduce the concentration of milk replacer. For example, You start feeding with a concentration of 150 g substitute 1 litre, and then gradually reduce it to 135 g /l before, when the actual phase will begin weaning. Changing the diet, you must adhere to the transitional period in 7 – 10 days, thus the animal pastovus easier to change.
• to have confidence that the milk in the bucket stays fresh for a long time (especially in summer), it is necessary to acidify to pH 5.5, but not lower. More acidification is not recommended, it reduces palatability and, as a consequence, calves consume milk in smaller amounts.
• to avoid hasty drink calves milk, the bucket should always be full.
an Unfair judgment about feeding Ad Libitum
the Excess milk causes diarrhea: in the material described that calves consume milk for several visits. Even with a full bucket, they still drink a limited amount.
the Excess milk inhibits the process of transition to the feed, vidpovidno reduced consumption: here the opposite occurs. Practical experience and scientific research shows that calves who drink more milk also consume a lot more feed. This is due to the increase in metabolic energy needs.
Milk in the bucket freezes in winter: of course, if the outside temperatures there is a risk that the milk will freeze. This complicates management. But calves prefer warm milk in winter, and consequently show better results in development, compared with the restrictive type of feeding.
Calves do NOT drink all the milk: that’s true, which is especially observed at an early age, a certain amount of milk it will be necessary to pour. However, these losses quickly kompensiruet due to high growth and early hotel.